Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Love The One You're With...Guaranteed

Well since I am clearly on the romance path AGAIN (see last post) I might as well expand on my July post "Fading to Black". At least I will be incorporating what seems to be my unending sentimentality with my unending love of music.

In "Fading to Black" I ended with my idea of a romantic dinner, with a dance to The Temptation's "Night and Day" found on the "What Women Want" soundtrack.

Other songs guaranteeing anyone to get what they want from their object of desire are these classic sigh-inducing ballads that are still powerful today:

When A Man Loves A Woman, by Percy Sledge. C'mon. This is grand, amazing schlocky romance at it's soulful finest.

Oh, What A Night, by The Dells. Can't you just picture Marty McFly's parents falling in love on the dance floor as they sway under streamers of tinsel and papier-mâché moons and stars to this rich melody? It makes me want to go shopping for a vintage prom dress.

I Only Have Eyes For You, by The Flamingos. Uh....ditto what I said about Oh, What A Night.

Now, for something completely different and almost unnerving in its ethereal sound...you all know (I hope) Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers. There's precious few who didn't sit entranced and ready to take pottery lessons after hearing this song in the movie "Ghost." But do yourself a favor and listen to the a Capella version by The Fleetwoods. I feel about that version the same way I feel about Elvis' version of Blue Moon (check it out on the "Boy From Tupelo" album.) Both are transformative in their haunting simplicity. These songs would probably make Evanescence a little tingly.

The moldies aren't the only ones holding the reins on amorous melodies...there are some modern-day classics to torture your heart with as well...

...Vince Gill's You and You Alone, When Love Finds You and Whenever You Come Around (for the real magnitude of the meanings behind these songs, read the AARP article I referenced in my July post "Catch-up...It's Not Just a Condiment")...

...or Keith Urban's Only You Can Love Me This Way, the upbeat Somebody Like You, and back to honey-dripping love with Your Everything...

...John Michael Montgomery has more than a couple that will make her weak in the knees, in I Love The Way You Love Me, Rope the Moon, I Swear, Long as I Live, and I Can Love You Like That. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if every last one of these were on the Top 50 Wedding Dance Songs of all Times...

And just when you were beginning to think country has the romance-dance genre lassoed, you'd be wrong...there's more in pop-music to neck by...

...(Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams (and can I glide over his Have You Ever Loved a Woman? I think not...
...Wicked Game by Chris Isaak (come ON I have to list this even tho it's maybe not the most positive message to send someone. Maybe they won't hear the lyrics over the sound of your kissing).
...So Close by John McLaughlin from the "Enchanted" soundtrack...
...If your hair is still a little long (or you wish it were) after all these years and you have a penchant for zebra stripes, you'll appreciate Def Leppard's Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad as well as Is This Love by Survivor...
...which leads me to...Wherever You Will Go by The Calling...
...and while we're on rock ballads, who can forget Babe by Styx or Angel by Aerosmith...

...a young British artist I discovered a few years ago is Adele (who HASN'T heard of her by now??) Her Crazy For You, Make You Feel My Love, and One and Only have the retro soul of Amy Winehouse, only these songs are healthy and don't get weighted down with real-life tragedy.

For less sultry, more innocent indie sounds, Corinne Bailey Rae's sweetly whispered lines in Enchantment, Call Me When You Get This and Trouble Sleeping seem almost too innocent to list here. Nah. They're not. Neither are Bruno Mars' Just The Way You Are and Bright Eyes' First Day Of My Life, both of which are sure to make her a drooling mess in your arms, quite malleable if she believes you think even a fraction of what the lyrics are saying. These songs go with daisies and cotton.

There are SO many songs to get down and sweet or down and dirty with - too many to keep listing here - but I do want to mention just two more:
Jules Holland's version with Bono of U2's If You Wear That Velvet Dress which absolutely ruined the U2 original for me forever. This song drips sensuality like liquid silver falling off the moon. This song has I'm-in-love-with-you-sex from the first note to the last.

The other song is Lyle Lovett's I Know You Know with an equally sensual jazz beat to seduce by. And yes I said Lyle Lovett. The man does more than honky-tonk and this song proves it.

So, consider these songs, boys and girls, next time you're planning an intimate evening with the one you love, or, more importantly, the one you WANT to love.

1 comment:

  1. If you could only see my "love sex touch" playlist on my iPod!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are not only welcomed, they are cherished! Feedback does wonders for a writer, and connecting with readers makes this site a lot more human :)