Saturday, March 30, 2013

Liebster Award!!



I am happy to attempt a second go at posting the "Liebster Award" format and to thank Kirsten Hart again for nominating this blog. I know how much time it took me to find blogs that I found interesting enough to 1) follow and 2) nominate. Not that I’m being snooty (maybe a tad) but there are a TON of family/our kids blogs and I just didn’t think that was the kind of theme I wanted to nominate.  In the end, I spent a LOT of time trying to find blogs that were current, and fall into the “less than 200 followers” category while keeping an interesting mix going. Most are everyday people, just like me, who just like to air their thoughts. Other blogs are artistic or philosophical in nature. In the end, this is a sweet exercise in seeking out blogs you like and letting others know about it. 

So...if you are a reader, please check out the blogs I list below. And if you are a nominated blogger, I encourage you to do this, it really was fun and a great way for me to get out of my bubble and seek out other bloggers that I resonate with. :)

Things To Do:

1. Post the award on your blog (see above)
2. Thank the lovely blogger(s) who gave you the award and link back to their site(s)
3. Post 11 random facts about yourself
4. Answer 11 questions that the presenter of the award has asked you
5. Nominate 11 new bloggers with fewer than 200 followers that you want to pass the award on to 
6. Ask your nominess 11 questions

Away we go!

11 Random Facts About Myself

1. I played accordion as a child. The lessons were my parent’s way of placating my incessant whining for piano lessons. They assured me if I excelled at accordion I would graduate to bigger and better things. ALL LIES I TELL YOU!! Tsk. I endured learning Star Wars and La Vie en Rose on the squeezebox with many other poor nerdlets being primed for Geek Recovery.

2. My first international trip was about three years ago to Quebec, Canada (I'm from California). I went there on business, oh, 6 or 7 times over the course of a year and a half. I say if you’re gonna do something and can’t go big, at least go over and over. And over.

3. My first international trip SHOULD HAVE BEEN Ireland...was booked for a solo week in Dublin, with plans to see the Dropkick Murphys play the Olympia Theatre, all primed to see the Book of Kells, Half Penny Bridge, and Tara and then effing Iceland exploded. Pffft. 

4. I think nerdy gym rats are sexy. What’s not to love?? They’re smart, they read, they lift weights. Sometimes all at the same time. I tell you what. Recite Shakespeare or Nietzsche during your alternating one-arm chest flies and I. Am. Yours. And I think it’s perfectly acceptable to have a workout at the gym count as a date. 

5. “I can put my whole fist in my mouth” Actually, this was Kirsten’s number 5, but it’s just too awesome to delete. For the record, I just tried and no I can’t. I guess my mouth is too small, which is weird for the amount of sound that comes out of it...

6. My nickname at work used to be ShoeTart. I considered having another blog about that, but this one is enough to keep up with. 

7. Someday I will go to Ireland. And Scotland, England, France, Italy (Cinque Terre and the Danieli Hotel in Venice to be exact), Greece, and then find out where my Lange and Sandstrom kin are in Sweden and Germany. If there are no exploding volcanoes that week, that is.

8. I can do wavy things with my tongue. Some people think it’s fascinating.  I just think it’s weird, but, basically, so are some people. Nooooooo, I will not post a video.

9. I can listen to the The Bruces sketch by Monty Python over and over and still giggle like it is the very first time. NOOOOO POOFTAS or STUCK UP STICKY BEAKS HERE. Amen...(Pooftas are fine but I draw the line at the SUSBs.)

10. Speaking of British humor, I grew up watching BBC comedies on public television in the 70s and 80s and it is because of Benny Hill that I learned “to assume is to make an ass out of u and me.” Badump! Thankfully something told me it was not ok to go around thumping little old bald men on the head. BUT, I must admit, that might explain why I love Jethro Gibbs slapping DeNozzo upside the head on NCIS. I literally never connected those two things til this very moment. It also explains my random need to speak in a horrid Cockney accent for no apparent reason.

11. I am not your friend if you’re going to barf. We don’t know each other, I don’t love you, I have just booked a ticket for clear across the country and had to leave 5 minutes ago if you are going to spew. Do not do it around me. NOOOOOOO. Nonononononono. Nope. No. Way. EVER. (blech). By the way, I haven’t thrown up since I was ten years old. I have endured 3 day hangovers and two pregnancies and not once did I do the V. I think it’s a phobia but I’m not sure.

11 Questions Answered


1. How do you like your coffee?
Often and in droves. Usually with foofoo creamers like Vanilla or Cinnamon or Peppermint. I only do black coffee if I am desperate. Coffeecoffeecoffeeeeee.....

2. If you were a sandwich, what type of sandwich would you be? Why?
Peanut Butter and Jelly. Simple, comforting, yummy. Not that I’m any of those things necessarily, I just can’t really think of another sandwich. I guess I could be grilled cheese....but....no. I guess I am not a 'wich gourmand.

3. What is the strangest job you’ve ever done?
I volunteered as a candystriper in high school at a hospital and twice took decedents down to the morgue. I got the toe-tag end and yes, the feet were sticking out. I don’t think they let teenage girls do that nowadays....

4. If you could be invisible for a day, would you use your invisibility for good or for evil?
Oh for good!! Not that I’m a fancy-schmancy do-gooder, but it would be a blast to run around all day doing nice things for people and watching them react, never knowing who did it. But, then I’d probably blog about it later. 

5. Other than invisibility, what skill or talent would you like to have?
SINGING! Oh, I sing in my shower and my car. But I would love to be able to sing beautifully, not just loudly.

6. What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
Let me reach into my Bag of Shivery Memories: Ah yes. 16, post shower, walking around the house alone buck naked. I cross in front of our front door with a very large window without thinking anything of it as our home was fairly set off from a quiet street. There’s a delivery person standing there. I froze for the nano-second that we made eye contact. I ran and hid for what seemed like half an hour. The damned woman (thank GOD) would not leave. I eventually found a throw blanket and had to sign for the package. Which occurred in complete silence and with zero eye contact.

7. If you could commit one crime and get away with it, what would it be?
Daily driving over the speed limit doesn’t count? Ok...um....it would have to be stealing copious amounts of money from grifters/crooks and going on a shopping spree and then giving the rest away. Kind of a semi-selfish Robin Hood crime.

8. What is you favourite ice cream?
Anything chocolate-I love mint chocolate chip. Or Mocha. 

9. If you could be a fictional character from film or literature, who would you be?
Hermione Granger. What can I say? She’s smart, tough, waves a mean wand, is a turner of time...and gets the guy in the end. 

10. What is your favourite song lyric?
Egad. Music is my lifeblood. I have hundreds of “favorite songs”. How can I pick a lyric??? Ok....one of my favorite songs is Skylark, so: Skylark, have you anything to say to me? / Won’t you tell me where my love can be? / Is there a meadow in the mist / Where someone’s waiting to be kissed? Yep. I’m an incurable romantic. It’s sick really.

11. If you could rule the world for a day, what would you change?
Anger...there’d be zero anger across the globe. No lying, fighting, killing, shouting, raping, screaming, cussing, shooting or war. Just everyone simply happy for one whole day.

11 Liebster Nominees


1. It’s My Life (dear Tommy!)

2. Lacey Dearie’s Tangled Web  (dear Shaz!)

3. The Mad Hapa (dear MD!)

4. Broadcastellan (ruminations on 20th century media)

5. Peaceful Turmoil  (Spiritual outlook. Last post was 2012, but I liked the theme)

6. The Black Tibetans  (great band...)

7. Random Shots by Chris (love the photos)

8. Cafe Cartolina (oops...waaaay more than 200 followers, but I love the vintage designs!)

9. Josh’s Imagination (amazing artist!)

10. My Own 100 Hikes  (love to hike and this site has nice photos to go with the narration)

11. Watch the Signs, Love (poetry, musings, attitude. I LIKE!)


11 Questions For My Nominees


If you were nominated and you want to accept the award, don’t forget to answer these questions about yourself in your post.

1. What do you do to break creative block?

2. Where do you go to feel serenity?

3. Who was an inspirational figure in your life? How/why?

4. Taboo subjects...what WON’T you talk about in your blog?

5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

6. Weirdest encounter with a stranger (alien abductions don’t count):

7. What is a fear you had to face/overcome in your life?

8. It’s your day off and you have no access to computer, phone or television. What do you do? 

9. What one thing would you do for yourself if money and time were not an issue?

10. Best childhood memory:

11. Kirk or Picard?

Have fun people!!! And thank you again Kirsten. 

3 comments:

  1. Aww thanks Kris for nominating me. I'll get around to nominating and answering sometime this week.

    BTW, I hope you get to have that trip to Ireland one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers and questions! Hermione is very cool. Do you think it is possible to have her brains without her hair though? I have the hair, but not the other stuff. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy dear, I adore you. When I get to Ireland I will skootch on over to Scotland and say halloo in person! :)

    Kirsten....I have the hair too! Thankfully if it doesn't curl up nice for me, I can blow dry it straight. Thank you again for the nomination.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are not only welcomed, they are cherished! Feedback does wonders for a writer, and connecting with readers makes this site a lot more human :)