Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for PLANS!



Plans - What's the quote? Best laid plans of mice and men? Do I have that right?


The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!
(The best laid schemes of Mice and Men
oft go awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!)


Robert Burns, To a Mouse (Poem, November, 1785

Best laid schemes, best laid plans, tomato, tomato...Argh. I keep trying that "you say tomato, I say tomato" but it never, ever works in writing.

Anyway, my best laid plans tonight were nowhere near what actually happened. I had planned to go hang with some lady friends and chit chat about spirituality and pms and men over coffee, instead, I helped one friend who needed to get out of the house for awhile. As much as I think doing my own thing in my own time would have been nice, it's even nicer to get out of myself and think about others once in awhile. :)

The grandest thing I have learned about making plans is that not everything happens the way we think they will, so we'd best be honing our "roll with the punches" skills to take it on the chin when the shit hits the fan. Is anyone keeping count of the amount of cliches I can use in one sentence? No? I think there should be...

Ok, anyway, take Iceland and Ireland for instance. If you go back to the very first few posts here at Up on the Kat-Talk, you'd see I had a grand vacation planned for Ireland. April 2010 was the month and I was ready to go. Bags were packed. I had the plane reservation, the hotel reservation, the single concert ticket to see The Dropkick Murphys play the Olympia Theatre in Dublin...I had my walking-in-Dublin itinerary all set up and then...

...Iceland exploded. I stared in shock and disbelief at the news as the volcanic ash rising up, up, up was impeding flights to Europe. I tried valiantly to predict where the wind would blow...and I kept the Dublin flights always on my newsfeed. Ireland was, in fact, one of the very last countries to shut down their air space...doing so the day before my flight was scheduled to take off.

Cue pacman death music.

So I cancelled my trip and pouted. For a short while. Because the reality sank in that my piddling little trip had nothing on the poor folk over here and over there who were trying to get either back to there or back to here. All kinds of serious losses took place due to that volcanic eruption. I quickly categorized my personal loss of the dream trip as a quality problem.

And, had I gone to Ireland, I would not have had the money to fix my car that broke down shortly thereafter, almost to the tune of the exact amount of money I had refunded to me.

That experience was probably my biggest lesson in making plans: be always aware they might not end up exactly like you imagine. And be ready to roll. Otherwise you'll go down for the count.

And, no, haven't made the trip to Ireland yet. But there is ALWAYS hope. :)

That's it for me, talk to you tomorrow!

Goodnight my friends.

-Kris



1 comment:

  1. Kris, you'll make that trip to Ireland because your heart desires it. One way or another, you'll make it.

    My dream was to visit America and through good fortune and no plans of my own, it happened... and I will be back... next time with Maz and the boys... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are not only welcomed, they are cherished! Feedback does wonders for a writer, and connecting with readers makes this site a lot more human :)