Tuesday, April 23, 2013

U is for the UNIVERSE!



UNIVERSE

Ah, the universe. So mind-boggling. It is impossible to wrap one's brain around the concept of forever, no end, no borders, no ceiling, floor, or walls. To think of all the energy, how it started (did it ever?), how it functions, what is going on and who it's going on with...it's beyond my wee thinking capacity.

So. Let's set the record straight. I am NOT here to talk about Stephen Hawking, Quantum Physics, Gravitational Singularities Theorems, Astronomy, NASA, Carl Sagan (ooooh, I do miss him), Scott Bakula, Space 1999, Hal and Dave, Dr. Who, or anything more smartypants than, well, Scott Bakula. Great show by the way, "Quantum Leap."

No!! No High IQ fluff for me! I am here to talk about woo-woo fun stuff (that I actually believe in) called Notes From the Universe. Every day at work, I look at my inbox and I find a new Note, giving me insights in to "Law of Attraction" and manifesting my desires, and generally real cheerleader "go get 'em" positive reinforcement. I was turned on to the notes by a colleague, oh, about 6 or 7 years ago and have been receiving the emails every work day since then.

The Notes started as a regular email through the TUT Club (Totally Unique Tee-shirts originally, now Totally Unique Thoughts), which is a website for manifesters, adventurers and generally positive thinking people. Mike Dooley, one of the founders of TUT (along with his brother and mom) is the man behind the notes and I heard him, in one of his audiobooks, talk about how he realized that if he sent out these marvelous emails as "The Universe", it opened up a whole new dimension to what he could write...he could get away with saying things as "The Universe" that he'd feel silly trying to pass off as Mike Dooley.

I have to say there's a real genius to that.  The notes are inspirational, imbued with whimsy and humor. Somehow having the emails end with "Tally-ho!" or "You GO you!" from the UNIVERSE gives it the right spin, whereas having it from some guy might come off as smarmy or preachy. Dooley was absolutely right in his decision and has become very successful as the thinker behind the Notes. If you click on the "Sample Note" button when visiting the site, you'll get something like this:

"The one thing all famous authors, world-class athletes, business tycoons, singers, actors, and celebrated achievers in any field have in common, Kristen, is that they all began their journeys when they were none of these things. Yet still, they began their journeys.

You are SO poised for greatness!
The Universe

P.S. One day, they're going to name something BIG after you, Kristen! Like a statue, a college...or a hurricane..."

This is the type of email I get everyday. End result is that I eagerly look forward to these daily reminders that my thoughts have power, so I should choose good ones.

Say what you will about the Law of Attraction, made so hugely popular by Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret"  (and which Mike Dooley participated in, by the way, and to which I only partially subscribe...I prefer Dooley's spin on how to work with the universal energy), I personally can look back and see how I did exactly manifest the things I put most of my energy and thought into throughout my life – things good AND bad. Now, if you believe it is rubbish or silliness or evil, well, to that I say, how can one argue with the power of positive thinking? Because that is essentially what it whittles down to (in a very bare-bones simplistic way). 

The best thing I love about the concept behind "Leveraging the Universe" (one of Dooley's books, which I have on audio) is that it's really all about putting your intention out there, and then letting go of the "cursed hows" and letting the Universe (or God, or whatever deity or spiritual energy you prefer) take the reins. Ask for and ye shall receive. Yes? Yes. Just remember: be careful what you ask for.

Ok, goodnight.
Talk to you tomorrow

-Kris

Oh...and here's a parting shot to help remind you, "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are..."



3 comments:

  1. WOW, just, WOW! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never heard of these notes but am loving the concept... off to check it out now, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are not only welcomed, they are cherished! Feedback does wonders for a writer, and connecting with readers makes this site a lot more human :)