Sunday, April 28, 2013

XYZ is for ZZYZX!




ZZYZX – I would be a liar if I told you I intentionally waited to end the A to Z Challenge with this particular "word." It's more serendipity that I have been away from my computer the last couple days due to happy circumstances (it's about darned time).

So, there really is a place called ZZYZX in California...it's on the way to Las Vegas on the I-15 highway. I haven't spent a lifetime driving from Southern California to Las Vegas, but I do remember when I first saw the sign for Zzyzx Road and thought, "what the hell is THAT?"

Apparently it is "the last word in the English language," so named by a man who settled on the land (illegally) using the hot springs to bottle water to sell to travelers, as well as maintaining a ranch for families to visit en route to wherever. 


If you have ever driven through the desert going to or coming from Vegas (or Baker, home of the world's largest thermometer. And that's about it), you will understand the beauty of the "dry" humor (sorry, bad pun intended) around the name Zzyzx...a place in the middle of a seemingly endless drive, in a vast expanse of desert and, in name at least, the last place on Earth. (Honestly...if you have ever seen the movie "Swingers", they capture the drive to Vegas perfectly...).  

Oh, and for the parting shot, here is "The World's Largest Thermometer":


So...if you are on your quest to find the Largest (insert something here) in the World, or the Weirdest (insert something or SOMEONE here) in the World, you can knock two off your list within 7 miles of each other on the I-15. Bam.

Talk to you LATER! :)

–Kris




2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I don't even know how to pronounce Zzyzx!

    yay for finishing the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post to wrap up the A-Z, you had it right there in front of you! I like reading that you were off doing something fun, life ALWAYS trumps blogging and it should!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Your comments are not only welcomed, they are cherished! Feedback does wonders for a writer, and connecting with readers makes this site a lot more human :)